Thursday, June 14, 2012

Eric LeGrand to be Honored by ESPN

Bucs DT Eric LeGrand
The ESPY Awards will be taking place on July 11th in Los Angeles.  During the show, ESPN will present Buccaneers DT Eric LeGrand with their coveted Jimmy V Perseverance Award.  The Jimmy V Award is given to someone in sports who has overcome great obstacles through perseverance and determination. It is named for Jim Valvano, the North Carolina State coach who gave an emotional acceptance speech at the 1993 ESPYS that included his famous words, "Don't Give Up! Don't Ever Give Up!"  He died of cancer later that year.

Quoted in ESPN's report of this award,, LeGrand talks about being able to relate to the famous mantra of coach Jimmy V's acceptance speech, "I can relate to that because I am never giving up in my situation.  I know I will fight through it.  Now getting this, this is a dream come true, especially on the 20th anniversary of the ESPYS.  I was even thinking about it last year, thinking that could be me."

LeGrand, who gave a keynote address at a New Jersey school's graduation ceremony today, has been showered with love, adoration, and encouragement ever since he suffered the devastating injury that left him paralyzed.  "I have the whole world behind me now pushing for me. There is nothing for me to complain about. I have to keep fighting and getting better and help find a cure for this injury for many other people who are fighting to get back on their feet."

Eric Legrand continues to be an inspiration for all and we here at BuccaneerTalk.com are pleased that he is a part of the Tampa Bay Bucs organization.  Go Bucs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Trash talking is fine, but please keep it moderately clean. In order to comment you must sign-in. Our site is through Google and you will be directed through a one time secured sign-in process to obtain a user name. Thanks in advance.