Wednesday, June 13, 2012

LB Mason Foster excited about new scheme

Rick Brown of the Ledger had a chance to speak with LB Mason Foster. Brown writes that Foster is excited to begin his second season with the Buccaneers.

Foster reported to the OTAs and the mini camp sporting a fresh, new look. Foster cut the long braids that he sported during his rookie season. It appears Foster is also looking for a fresh, new chance at playing linebacker for the Buccaneers. Foster likes the new defensive scheme and feels that it plays more to his strengths.

"It's a whole different scheme. It's a more aggressive defense. It's all new to everybody. … I'm just excited to play. I love it, being able to play downhill, run and hit. It's what I love to do. I feel it fits me perfectly." 
Under Bill Sheridan's defensive system, the linebackers are all required to learn each linebacker position. Each linebacker should be prepared to play the weak, middle, or strong linebacker position. Foster says:  "I'm very comfortable playing middle linebacker but at the same time we're learning all positions," he said. Playing mike (middle linebacker) you have to know all three. It goes hand in hand. (But) if it were better for the team for me to move somewhere else, I'd do whatever I can to help the team."
Foster also credits having the OTAs as having helped him considerably. The lockout during his rookie off season caused him to miss out on a lot. "I missed a lot," he said. "Just being here with the coaches and your teammates is big in itself. Just being here and being able to hang out with the guys and if you have questions, being able to go to your coaches and ask them. I feel like this is a crucial part."
With the new, downhill attacking scheme that Sheridan is installing for the linebackers unit, I truly believe Buccaneers fans will see Foster excel. At the same time, rookie linebacker LaVonte David may truly turn some heads when the real bullets fly. More on David later. As always GO BUCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Trash talking is fine, but please keep it moderately clean. In order to comment you must sign-in. Our site is through Google and you will be directed through a one time secured sign-in process to obtain a user name. Thanks in advance.